The Town of Smooth Rock Falls is very proud to offers its’ residents weekly, curbside garbage collection. The municipal council and staff have worked very hard and are extremely pleased to be able to offer a recycling program to all residents as of 2017. The full 2017 collection schedule can be downloaded here.
Some guidelines for ensuring compliance with the waste management program include:
- PLASTIC BAGS ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED IN THE RECYCLING PROGRAM. All plastic bags are to go in the GREEN bin.
- All recycling are to be loose in your BLUE recycling bin. The recycling plant will accept recyclables in CLEAR plastic bags ONLY
- Recyclable Materials:
- Food and beverages glass bottles and jars
- Metal food and beverages can
- Aluminum foil, foil plates and foil trays
- #1 (PET) plastics, #2 (HDPE) plastics, #4, #5 (polypropylene) plastics other than #2 and bags
- Aseptic packaging such as drink boxes
- Polycoat containers such as milk and juice cartons and any other container designated by the Director of Operations to be a recyclable containers
- Recyclable Papers
- Household paper, including junk mail, writing paper, computer paper, non-foil gift wrap, non-foil greeting cards and envelopes
- Paper egg cartons
- Paper rolls
- Paper bags other than treated bags (do not recycle: flour, sugar, potato, and pet food bags)
- Newspaper and inserts
- Magazine, catalogues, and glossies
- Telephone directories
- Soft covered books and hard covered books and any other paper or paper product designated by the Director Operations to be recyclable papers
- Non-Collectable Waste (means the following items will not be collected by the Town)
- Industrial waste
- Service station and garage waste
- Explosive or highly combustible materials such as celluloid cuttings, moving picture fills, oil-soaked or gasoline rags etc.
- Any liquid whether in a container or not except normal household garbage
- Carcass of any animal
- Discarded truck and automobile tires, or batteries
- Automotive parts/ scrap metal
- Trees, branches and roots
- Furniture, household items and appliances
- Biomedical waste
- Manufacturing or industrial waste
- Construction / demolition waste
- Any material, which has become frozen to the containers and cannot be removed by shaking
Please note there are set fines for non-compliance
The waste management by-law can be found here: Waste Management By-Law
WASTE DISPOSAL SITE
The Landfill annual permit is $30.00 for residents and $100.00 for non-residential and is valid from January to December. An annual permit is necessary to enter the landfill site.
The full fee schedule for the Smooth Rock Falls Disposal Site is available here.