Building or Demolition Permits

The Town of Smooth Rock Falls will assist you with your home building projects, from additions and demolitions to sheds and solar panels. Many projects require a building permit, which you can apply for at the Town Hall offices at 142 First Avenue.

The application for the building permit can also be downloaded here.  Once completed, please bring the form to the Town Hall offices.  If you have any questions, please contact the Town Hall at (705) 338-2717 ext. 3 or email


You may need to obtain a building permit before you do any of the following:

  • Construct a new building
  • Construction of a fence
  • Construction or installation of a sign
  • Install an in-ground or above-ground swimming pool
  • Renovate, repair or add to a building
  • Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
  • Change a building’s use
  • Install, change or remove load-bearing walls
  • Make new openings for or enlarge existing doors and windows
  • Build a garage, balcony or deck or enclose an existing deck
  • Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
  • Install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system, such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems
  • Install or modify heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and woodstoves
  • Install or renovate plumbing
  • Construct or reconstruct a chimney
  • Finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom
  • Erect temporary buildings (incl. tents over 30 square metres)
  • Solar Panels attached to a roof


NOTE: Remember you still must comply with zoning requirements, regardless of the need to obtain a building permit.


  • Kitchen cupboards and counter-tops when there are no plumbing modifications
  • Flooring on existing sub-floors
  • Interior & exterior trim and painting
  • Landscaping
  • Driveways (pavement, inter-locking stone, concrete, etc.)
  • Washroom vanity with no plumbing modifications
  • Window and door replacement with no modifications
  • Residential sheds and gazebos under 108 ft2
  • Re-roofing – Shingle replacement ONLY

If you are unsure of whether or not you require a building permit, please do not hesitate to contact the Town Hall at (705) 338-2717 ext. 3 or email


The cost of a building permit varies by the type of property and the nature of the work being done. The current permit prices can be found here. Once we have received your application we will calculate the fees payable for your project.

Please remember that you must obtain a building permit before you start any work, if you start work without a permit your permit fees may be doubled and you may receive a fine.


You must comply with municipal by-laws, including the Building By-lawZoning By-law and the Swimming Pool By-law. You must also comply with provincial law, including the Building Code Act and the Ontario Building Code Regulations.

When your building permit application has been approved, you will receive a building permit which you must display at the place of work. Inspections will be required for most projects, and will be indicated on the permit. When you are ready for an inspection please contact the Town Office at 705-338-2717 to schedule a visit from the Building Inspector. Please note that two full business days notice is required for building inspections. It is important that you do not cover up any work before it has been inspected, as you may be required to uncover it for inspection by the Building Inspector at your own expense.

If you are digging or excavating you are required to locate underground utilities and pipes prior to digging. More information can be found here.