May 28th 2020
RE: Revised Building Permit Application Procedure During COVID-19 as Construction Ban Has Been Lifted
The previous construction ban, which permitted only essential projects, has now been lifted.
Now that the ban has been lifted by the province, building permits may now be issued. This will allow residents and businesses to start construction projects.
Residents are reminded that the Town Hall remains closed to the public for the present time. The building permit application can be obtained on this link http://www.smoothrockfalls.ca/living-here/building-and-renovating/building-demolition-permits/ . Applications will be accepted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail to Town of Smooth Rock Falls Building Department 142 First Ave, P.O. Box 249, ON P0L 2B0 or can be deposited in the drop box found at the main entrance door of the Municipal Hall. Please ensure that all proper contact information has been submitted with application. Application fees must be paid by way of cheque payable to the “Town of Smooth Rock Falls.” Once a building permit application has been approved and payment has been received, the permit will be issued via mail.
Inspection will be assessed on a case by case basis as limitations may apply. Inspections may require pictures and videos to be submitted by the applicant.
WHAT CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS NEED BUILDING PERMITS?
• Construct a new building
• Construction of a fence
• Construction or installation of a sign
• Install an in-ground or above-ground swimming pool
• Renovate, repair or add to a building
• Demolish or remove all or a portion of a building
• Change a building’s use
• Install, change or remove load-bearing walls
• Make new openings for or enlarge existing doors and windows
• Build a garage, balcony or deck or enclose an existing deck
• Excavate a basement or construct a foundation
• Install or modify any life safety or fire suppression system, such as fire alarms, sprinkler or standpipe or fixed extinguishing systems
• Install or modify heating, plumbing, air conditioning systems, fireplaces, fireplace inserts and woodstoves
• Install or renovate plumbing
•Construct or reconstruct a chimney
•Finish a basement or convert a room to a bedroom
•Erect temporary buildings (incl. tents over 30 square metres)
•Solar Panels attached to a roof
YOU DO NOT REQUIRE A BUILDING PERMIT TO WORK ON:
•Kitchen cupboards and counter-tops when there are no plumbing modifications
•Flooring on existing sub-floors
•Interior & exterior trim and painting
•Driveways (pavement, inter-locking stone, concrete, etc.)
•Washroom vanity with no plumbing modifications
•Window and door replacement with no modifications
•Residential sheds and gazebos under 108 ft2
•Re-roofing – Shingle replacement ONLY
For further information concerning the submission of building permit applications please contact:
Remi Desbiens, Building Inspector email@example.com or (705) 338-2717, Ext. 3.
Thank you, THE CORPERATION OF THE TOWN OF SMOOTH ROCK FALLS
Posted on: May 29 2020, 9.14 AM Category: Uncategorised