Click Here for the Official Notice – March 31, 2020
March 31st, 2020
RE: Covid-19 Tax Relief Plan and Payment Methods Currently Accepted
Please be advised at the March 27th 2020 Special Council Meeting, Mayor and Council passed a Covid-19 Tax Relief Plan. A Tax Relief option to the taxpayers of the Town of Smooth Rock Falls be implemented as follows:
1) Waiving of late payment charges for the month of April 2020
2) In the event of the Covid-19 plan is extended by Council, the Treasurer will automatically extend by one month each time unless Council lifts the Covid-19 action plan.
Mayor and Council understand that residents may be in a position of financial stress due to Covid-19. They want to ensure residents will not receive interests on their accounts during this difficult period, starting with waiving the late payment charges for April 2020.
The Town Hall remains closed to the public until further notice. This course of action is in line with the advice of Ontario Chief Medical Officer of Health to ensure a safe and secure environment for all.
In regards to property taxes, following payment methods are acceptable:
1. Online Banking: We encourage residents to pay their taxes through their online banking system. The Town of Smooth Rock Falls can be found under “Add Payee”. Your account number will be your 19 digit roll number. Your roll number can be found on your property tax bill, starting with 5648.
2. Credit Card or PayPal: If you wish to pay your property taxes by credit card or PayPal, please visit www.smoothrockfalls.ca. On the homepage, you will find “Did you know you can pay your taxes by credit card or PayPal account? Click here!” Please click the link and it will direct you to the appropriate page. You will require to register an account and you will need your 19 digit roll number that can be found on your property tax bill, starting with 5648.
a. Please be advised of the service provider charge. For each transaction, 3% of the payment made and a fee of $0.35 will be added. For example: for $100.00 there would be a charge of $3.00 plus a fee of $0.35 for the transaction.
3. Pre-Authorized Payment Plan: If you would like to sign up for the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, there are two plans available. Plan 1: Monthly payments taken out the 1st of every month, or Plan 2: payment is taken out on installment due date (4 times a year)
Please note that this plan is only available for accounts that have no outstanding taxes.
If you would like to sign up today, please go to:
b) click on the tab called “Living Here”
c) on the left panel click “Applications, Licenses & Permits”
d) you will then be able to find the form called “Pre-Authorized Payment Form”. The form has been made fillable for convenience.
i. Ensure that you state which payment plan you would like. (Monthly or installment)
ii. Fill in the application to the best of your capability.
iii. Ensure you attach a void cheque with your application.
e) Once application is filled, please email the application and void cheque to email@example.com where you will receive a response from a Town representative within 24hrs.
4. Cheques: If you would like to make your property tax payments via cheque please mail your cheque to the following address:
a. Town of Smooth Rock Falls, 142 First Ave, P.O. Box 249, ON P0L 2B0
5. For all other payments not related to property taxes, please send a cheque(s) by mail.
6. The Town Hall will not be accepting cash until further notice
Q & A’s
Q 1: I’m having a difficult time finding the Town of Smooth Rock Falls under “Payee”, who do I contact for help?
A 1: Please call your bank institution and they will guide you through the process.
Q 2: Can I pay by credit card or PayPal over the phone?
A 2: No, currently the only accepted method of credit card and PayPal payments is through the online method detailed above.
Q 3: I am already signed up for the pre-authorized payment plan, do I need to do anything right now?
A 3: No, if you are already signed up there is no action required.
Q 3.1: I want to sign up for the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan but I have tax arrears, what are my options?
A 3.1: In order to be able to sign up for the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan, your account will require to be up to date. You can make a payment through your online banking, credit card/PayPal, or mail a cheque to the Town Hall. Once your balance is up to date, you will be able to sign up for the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan.
Q 3.2: I don’t know how to get a copy of my void cheque online?
A 3.2: Your online banking institution allows you to have access to a void cheque that can be printed or saved on your computer. If you are having troubles locating your void cheque, please call your banking institution for guidance.
We thank the public for the corporation during this time. If you have any questions, please contact the front desk at 705-338-2717.
Yvan Marchand, Treasurer
Posted on: Mar 31 2020, 11.30 AM Category: Uncategorised